Friday, June 24, 2011

Little Ducklings

In the beginning of this month, I was walking Max around our apartment complex and he chased a duck out of a bush. She was angry and wasn't leaving. I peeked in the bush and she had a nest in there, so we left her alone. Over the next several days, we walked passed an checked in on her.

Then, two weeks ago, we walked passed her nest and saw the mom duck out in the road. She had been run over and was dead. It was so sad! So, I called my dad and he told me I could try to get the eggs inside into a warm spot.

I brought them in a put a heating lamp over them. And we waited, and waited and waited. I had been candling them and knew they were still alive and growing.

Yesterday two of the eggs pipped (cracked) and today they hatched!!! two more have since pipped and I hope the will hatch in the morning.

8 comments:

Michael and Jessica Terry said...

Oh my goodness they are so cute, it makes me want one! You are such a good little mamma Stac! Thats so cool you saved them, sad about the mom though!

Cathy Hanna said...

Great job rescuing and saving those baby ducks, life is a such miracle and how fun to have been able to watch this facinating process. It brings back memories of when Cam and Brandon made their great rescue of the canadian geese off the river.(more like kidnapping). When Brandon was in the 2nd grade his teacher hatched out chicks in the classroom and that was the greatest class ever!!!!!

uniquelynat said...

that is pretty cool! and what will you do with them once they are all hatched? that's a lot of little ducks to keep. :D

jaci said...

oh my gosh! that is so dang cute!

Candace said...

Stacy, this is totally awesome! I am super impressed...keep us posted :)

Christy said...

That's sad the mother died! They're so cute. What are you going to do with them now?

Adrienne and Darren said...

That is so awesome of you to rescue them and watch them hatch. I love it.

*Bree* said...

So cute I love it! What did you do after they hatched?