Saturday, February 28, 2009

Food Storage...

This has always been a daunting topic to me. Well, growing up I didn't have to worry about it....When I was in College I used to just know I needed to be able to get to my mom and dad's if there was an emergency.....and since we have been married I have come up with countless excuses of why I don't have any. (we don't have room to store it, we travel too much, we live close to my parents, and the list goes on).

Well, right before Christmas I decided to get going. However, it seems so overwhelming when you don't have ANYTHING. For starters though, I asked for water jugs for christmas. We got them filled and we finally have some water stored in the basement. We also planned a FHE with some other young couples in our ward. We had the emergency preparedness couple come speak to us. But other than that, I haven't made much progress.

Then yesterday I stumbled on to this great website that breaks it up into steps to get started. It is a little cheesy, but helps a bunch!! It helps it not be so intimidating to begin!! I thought I would share the site with anyone who wants to improve their food storage....

Food Storage

Well, I can successfully say I have completed step 1 and step 2 (get shelves and get water!!)
If anyone has any other suggestions that really helped them, let me know!!!

7 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

I always buy like canned tuna, ham, turkey, and chicken to have protein if everything were to go out. You can get them in bulk at Sam's.

Jamie said...

I am the same way. I decided the best place to start was getting our 72 hour kits -- then at least i knew we would be ready for that. That is what I am working on now.

Chris, Hailee and Braxon said...

Every time I go to the grocery store I buy something for the food storage. I usually look for things that are on sale (veggies, tuna, toothpaste etc.). Ours still isn't very big but I found that getting a little each time really helps!

{amy k.} said...

I was going to say the same thing all three other people said.... we started with 72 hour kits and each time I go to Sam's I try to pick up an extra pack of soup or something like that.

I definitely need to get better- and I agree, it is a daunting task. Thanks for sharing that site, I'll have to check it out!

Kristen Crandall said...

Spencer and I just went to the providentliving.org site and printed off a list of available food from the cannery. We then bought one of everything in the #10 cans. Then we can open and try it all out. See what we like, see what we can actually incorporate into our cooking, and see how fast we use it. We are also going to be buying a wheat grinder this next week so that we can actually use the hard wheat that we bought. My neighbor has a great recipe for wheat bread made from the hard red wheat. The one of everything was about $140.00 and the wheat grinder is about $250.00.

mike and elise said...

I'm seriously not trying to sell you something, but just if you're interested, Mike is actually involved with a company that sells freeze-dried food storage. It has a 30-year shelf life and actually tastes pretty good. It's pricier than buying canned goods gradually, so it's not right for everyone, but it really is a great product. Let us know if you're interested at all. No pressure.

As for me, I've found this list of things for food storage where you spend like five dollars or so a week and it slowly builds into a workable storage. It's a good way to get started. Let me know if you want the list!

Tenille said...

So after nearly 6 years of marriage, Nat and I are finally getting our food storage under control. Here's my two tips: spend a little every month and get your 72 hour kits put together. Oh, and make sure you review the food in your 72 hour kits regularly. I left them under our bed for 3 years before replacing the food (the first time). Needless to say, those 72 hour kits wouldn't have done us much good---there was nothing edible left in them!